Thought this was appropriate for the PD list even though it does not
directly refer to PD.  Hope you enjoy it.  If anyone wants to sign up to
receive these little devotionals every M-F you can subscribe by writing
to: [log in to unmask]

From: [log in to unmask]
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
Subject: G@W - Tuesday, March 31
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 22:02:38 -0600

 No Less a Starfish

About eight weeks after my first mastectomy, I agreed to accompany my
husband on a business trip to Connecticut and Rhode Island during June,
with the understanding that I could rest as much as necessary and not
overdo it. In an attempt to make sure we balanced pleasure with business
meetings, my husband asked if there was anything special I wanted to do
while we were in that beautiful part of the country. Because I grew up in
Arizona with desert and dryness I have always had a genuine love of and
appreciation for the ocean. I suggested we try to get down to Newport
beach
if at all possible. For me, there is something therapeutic about the
ocean.
The waves, walking in the sand, watching the tide, just experiencing the
presence of the ocean. Somehow I felt I would feel more connected to
nature, myself and the healing process.  Armed with a map and directions
from the lady who sold us our box lunches, we were on our way. The drive
was beautiful and far shorter than we expected. We gathered our things
and
headed for the shore. I couldn't wait to take off my sandals and scrunch
my
toes in the wet sand. As we topped a hill, the beach looked like a
patchwork quilt of
beach blankets. I had never seen so many people on so little sand in all
my
life. We weaved our way through the crowd toward the water. As I took a
step, I looked down, and to my utter surprise, saw a beautiful starfish.
thought to myself, How could this be? All those people, and no one
stepped
on it or even bent over to
pick it up. I was as thrilled as a child. For me it was magic: my own
personal gift from the sea. Then I realized something unique about this
particular starfish. It had a message - a very special message. One of
its
arms was bent and curved around. At that moment, from someplace deep
within
me, I had an overwhelming
awareness, a sense of meaning. This was no less a starfish because it had
bent arm, and I was no less a woman because I lost my breasts. I called
it
my "grace moment." I realized it was no accident that I found myself on
that beach, that day, at that moment.  This experience was simply an
answer
to my prayer. I knew I
would survive breast cancer from that moment on. Furthermore, I had a
message I would willingly share with others.  No matter what our
setbacks,
difficulties or pain, we can get through them. Only through these moments
of hell do we reach
deep down within our being and discover who we are, what we believe and
what is important and "real" in our lives. We experience a "knowing of
our
soul."  Today, I have my little starfish on a special table in my home.
Every time I pass it I think of its message. I'm grateful for the insight
having cancer gave to me and for a relationship with a God that blesses
me
with little miracles on a daily basis. Most of all, I am grateful to know
in my heart that I am no less a woman because I lost my breasts to
cancer.
I am more than my limitations.

By Katherine Stephens Gallagher

Source:  http://www.soupserver.com/