hi john

you wrote:
>I got a message that I have no conventional memory left
>using Windows 3.1; not even enough to open Windows 3.1.

this could be a slightly misleading error message from windows
i'm still using version 3.1 [gasp]
and find that it has its own 'version' of events sometimes

>I need to delete files and programs using DOS 6.22.

how did you find out that you need to delete files?
how will you be able to use dos 6.22?
from a 'f'loppy' disk?

>I can not get at DOS help; not enough memory to run DOS help!!!

aha!
error messages in dos
carry a bit more weight than those in windows!
sounds like the hard drive is full to the point of groaning to a halt!

can you run "chkdsk" [it means check disk in nerdese] from the c: prompt?
[i.e. at the c: prompt, type CHKDSK and then press the enter key]
it should tell you how much free space you have on the hard drive

then maybe you could run "defrag" from the c: prompt
[i.e. at the c: prompt, type DEFRAG and then press the enter key]
if there is enough memory for this to run
it will ask you some questions about preferences
and then will try to re-organize the files on the hard drive
and rearrange all the little bits of free space
[which is probably all you have at the moment]
so as to create one contiguous area of free space

>Can any one help with suggestions.

try the above and good luck
i'm sure you'll get lots of help here

>I have no manuals for DOS or Windows 3.1.

john, john, john!!!
tsk, tsk, tsk!!!
no R.T.F.M.[Read The Flippin Manual]?

once dos is up and running again
i strongly recommend using a dos run [like defrag or something better]
disk optimizer utility program on a regular basis
as bare minimum housekeeping

your cyber-sis in nerdling

janet

janet paterson
51-10 / sinemet-selegiline-prozac
almonte-ontario-canada / [log in to unmask]