Ida.....

While I had a unilateral pallidotomy 4 1/2 years ago, I experienced
none of the problems you've mentioned having had so cannot
offer you any advice or information among those lines.

However, I have a thought to share with you and also a comment
about something I noticed during the 4 years I ran my own online
service (a 16-- incoming-phone-line BBS) <a computer "Bulletin
Board Service," for those who may be recent converts to the
online world> which had 6 full-service chronic disease BBSes on
the system plus one social BBS.   Plus there was also the
additional 2 years I was forum manager on MSN's "Chronic Disease
& Disorders Forum."

First, the thought:   I worked out of my home and while there were
35 volunteer staff and 2 paid employees, I made all business-related decisions
and was essentially the heart and soul of my BBS (and
that is usually the case with the systems operator on that kind of
system)

I had the pallidotomy at 2 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 24, '94, and was
back in my home office, working online with all 16 phone lines active,
by 11 a.m. on Tuesday, albeit, in a bathrobe and slippers, and a
multi-colored beanie-style "propeller hat" on my slightly aching and
partially shaved head! (I'd received the hat as a gift from some techie
friends just before the surgery and I LIVED in it the first coupla weeks
when everyone was dropping by to visit me... We all gotta lot of
laughs from that silly hat!).

Ooops!  I digress.... Anyway, from the moment I returned home after
the surgery, I was very busy working at a job that demanded I be
there 14 to 16 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Also, members of my
BBSes were ALWAYS dropping by to visit - even late at night
because they knew I'd be right there in the office, monitoring the
computers (there were three), the system, phone lines, chatting
online with members, hosting 2 "real-time" games online each week,
and bouncing hackers off line regularly, etc.

I believe I was SOOOOO busy from the moment I got home from
Loma Linda Hospital after the pallidotomy that I honestly didn't
have TIME to THINK about the many minute changes that took
place within my body after the surgery.  In fact, I can only
PRESUME they took place because everything I've learned about
pallidotomy prior and since the surgery claims they do.  I'm sure
IF I'd had the time, I'd have prolly got more into what my body and
mind were feeling.

In retrospect, I'm GLAD I was too busy to think about what I'd gone
thru - I just had the surgery and went immediately back to pounding
them keys!

NOW the comment based upon the online BBSes and MSN forum:
You name the disease, and I can pretty much assure ya that during
those 6 years SOMEONE would come along within a few days who
had it.  Name the surgery, and someone was scheduled to have
THAT, or had JUST had it.

There was an almost UNIVERSAL response to surgery for a major
disease such as PD, open heart surgery, cancer, MS, scleraderma,
and a myriad of other nasty illnesses --- EVEN if the results of the
surgery was POSITIVE, a great many folks became tearful
post-surgery.  Many got depressed temporarily, a number gained
weight (GONG! <--- Bell rings over Barb's head as a reminder of
THAT) <YUCK!>, craved sweets - particularly chocolate, and most
seemed to compulsively apologize to everyone for feeling
emotionally down when they thought they shouldn't feel blue.

Based upon that, I don't see what you've described as being
abnormal.   Step out of the "PD box," and look at the larger picture
and hopefully you'll be able to see that many, many other post-surgical
individuals have gone thru similar experiences as you,' me, and others
have had.

Barb Mallut