We talk periodically about what we're reading, what we want to read, what
books we're reading with our classes, what books we'd like to talk about
together.

Recently, the subject of book clubs came up on both ncte-talk and tawl.
Debbie on ncte-talk asked whether we could start an online book club.

We have.

I created a list, ReadClub-L, so named because I figured 'book club' could
potentially be confused for 'book-of-the-month-club' which is as much
about selling books as reading them; also, 'reading' doesn't limit us to a
particular form: we could talk about articles, essays, websites, list
archives, anything & etc.

And I made a web page to use as a resource.

  http://www.ncte.org/chat/readclub.html

I figure the list will be good for talking about what books to read and
who wants to talk about which, and we could talk about the books
themselves there, but we might also want to create separate forums for
discussing specific works, too. So on the web page is a form for
requesting new web forums for the purpose of discussing particular books.

You can also subscribe to the list from the web page, or you can send
email to [log in to unmask] and in the first line of the note put:
subscribe readclub-l

If you're into a book that's got you excited & you want to find others who
would be interested in discussing it (and you want a *place* to discuss
it), the Reading Club is now open for business!

--Eric Crump