  -----------------------------

   * Acknowledgements
   * Plotting and Scheming for 1999
   * Online proposal submission
   * Extending the conversations

----------------
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
----------------

CCCC has, since 1995, provided some support for CCCC Online by providing
money to pay for student assistants. Last year, the CCCC Executive
Committee increased support by agreeing to fund a web publishing
internship program. Rather than being assistants, the web interns would be
the designers and producers of CCCC Online.

I'd like to give a big thanks to the talented and hard-working group of
pioneer web publishing interns.

Collin Brooke
Kirsten Hale
Mike Jackman
John Logie

As is often the case during the early times of a new program, we kind of
felt our way along, making things up as we went, and they did wonderful
work in spite of numerous technical glitches and persistent uncertainty.

I would also like to thank two people who helped with computer support at
the convention. Walli Andersen (who for years managed the Computer
Connection booth) and Susan Halter did everything from hauling machines
around to fiddling with recalcitrant software. They were up early and
stayed late doing the unglamorous and thankless work that makes the
technology part of the show possible.

Cool machinery makes fun stuff possible, but people like Collin, Kirsten,
Mike, John, Walli, and Susan make it *actual.*

---------------------
PLOTTING AND SCHEMING
---------------------

For the past couple of years we've had web forums for kicking around
ideas, finding partners, and giving shape to proposals for the next year's
CCCC convention. It's been fun to use such a forum because it sort of
makes the process feel more like a community event, something we construct
together rather than in isolation, each doing our own thing.

This year's forum can be found at

  http://www.ncte.org/forums/99cfp/

Please feel free to post ideas, invite colleagues to join you in proposing
sessions, workshops, SIGs, etc., and even post drafts of abstracts.
Whatever you find useful to the process of proposing a presentation for
CCCC/99 in Atlanta, do.

--------------------------
ONLINE PROPOSAL SUBMISSION
--------------------------

Last year, as a pilot project, we offered the possibility of sending
proposals via the web. The option was limited to proposals in two topic
clusters.

We plan to continue the pilot this year (there are still procedural
matters that have to be worked out and tested). It will still be limited,
but perhaps will include another cluster or two so we can get more
participation. It's only by *doing* this that we can figure out how to do
this :)

The online proposal form is not ready to go just yet, but for those who
wish to consult the CFP anyway or perhaps print and mail rather than
submit online, copies can be found at

  http://www.ncte.org/cccc/99/99cfp.html

or

  http://www.ncte.org/cccc/99/99cfp.pdf
  (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be obtained
  for free from http://www.adobe.com/acrobat/)

---------------------------
EXTENDING THE CONVERSATIONS
---------------------------

The convention is over, but the conversations we started there need not
end. Just a reminder to everyone that the whole point of CCCC Online is to
serve as a means to escape the economic, geographic, and temporal
boundaries of the convention, to extend our conversations past that event
and include more people than can make it to any given conference session.

With that in mind, presenters should consider the invitation still open to
share some portrayal of their work, whether full papers, abstracts, notes,
images, whatever.

  http://www.ncte.org/cccc/98/contrib.html

to contribute something to CCCC Online (but let me know if you have any
trouble with the form or would like to submit stuff some other way).

And anyone interested in composition studies should consider the
invitation still open to talk about the compelling issues we wrestle with
these days by responding to the ideas and research presented by those on
the program.

  http://www.ncte.org/cccc/98/forums.html

--Eric Crump