I haven't read the article everyone is referring to; I received some of my
recent mail in a remote location and didn't have a chance to read or forward
all of it, so bear with me as I enter the proverbial Burkean parlor
conversation in medias res.  But about rules and "the academic essay," I
think it's essential to conceive of this issue in rhetorical terms, in
generic terms, and in terms of instituational structures.  As writing centre
advisors we do seem to be tethered to the generic conventions of the
disciplines and courses for which the student is writing.  That would seem
to be the institutional rationale for writing centres; and that, I think, is
the huge draw back of *substituting* writing instruction by English
professors and in English departments with elaborate writing centers that
merely serve other disciplines.  It's not a bad thing; it's just
insufficient.  In the case of a first year composition or advanced
composition course, however, we should not, I think, be tied to the
constraints of any other academic course or discipline, and (forgive the)
ought, to experiment with various rhetorical situations and generic
conventions.  The academic research paper is one such genre.  A journal
article for a popular or trade publication might be another genre.
Executive summaries, grant proposals, marketting materials etc. etc. are
among the wide variety of other genre's we could and in many cases do
practice.  I don't argue that the academic research paper isn't a good
excercise as far as critical thinking goes; but it doesn't train most
students (especially those preparing for other than academic professions),
to think rhetorically, or prepare them for the sorts of professional writing
tasks they will be asked to perform beyond the academy.  And this is not
about selling out to the needs of private industry so much as valuing what
we as English and writing instructors have to offer within the academy.
It's also about learning to learn.  I'm not finally interested in teaching
my students to master any one or any limited set of academic *or*
professional genres, but rather in equipping them with the critical thinking
and writing skills that will enable them to analyze and respond to the
broadest spectrum of possible writing situations.