CASLLRs --

For next year's SIG session at the 4Cs, let's use Russ's term
"first-year composition" and leave room for debate whether the absence
is an "historical weakness" or an opportunity for creativity.
Different universities do it differently; some would like to do both.
College teachers, at least in Ontario, will also recognize the
"absence" model -- many have just lost their standard first-year course.
Any high-school teachers present (such as Cheryl Ende this year, from
Hamilton-Wentworth Board), will still be interested in how we frame
the programs they send students into.

Two other points:

1. Can we come up with a positive title, not one focussed just on
absence? e.g. "Creating Writing Programs Without or Beyond First-year
Composition"? Henry, that phrasing would leave you room to comment
on how f-y comp is (or could be) related to other courses and ways
of delivery. It might attract interested Americans too, who are also
moving into extended and diffused programs....But somebody find a
snappier wording, please!

2. I think we should be talking about the Special Interest Group
(usually a roundtable, with a number of speakers) rather than the
caucus (traditionally an informal meeting at which we share news and
complaints about institutional politics, etc.--and decide where to go
for dinner).

Regards,

Margaret Procter
University of Toronto