I confess, I found Lawrence Yap's piece just so much tedious academy
bashing. It's all too easy to do.  I don't really feel like it warrants
publishing anywhere.  Though like Margaret, I wonder what others think.

Further, I think Margaret has distilled out some really interesting
questions (trust Margaret to find the kernel):

> In what ways can writing instructors
> nurture creativity within the academy? Should we keep on justifying
> academic essays (including working with instructors to shape
> assignment design and to respond appropriately)? To what extent is it
> our mission to encourage students to bend and break the rules to
> express their knowledge and ideas?

And I'd be really interested in hearing people's responses to these.

Rob Irish