I think that like Roberta I want to take you to task Christine, but for
the small word
"merely".
>As writing centre advisors we do seem to be tethered to the generic conventions
> of the
> disciplines and courses for which the student is writing.  That would seem
> to be the institutional rationale for writing centres; and that, I think, is
> the huge draw back of *substituting* writing instruction by English
> professors and in English departments with elaborate writing centers that
> _merely_ serve other disciplines.  It's not a bad thing; it's just
> insufficient.

I would argue first that there is nothing "mere" about entering into the
discourse of
disciplines.  This seems excellent early fodder for next year's Canadian
Caucus at
the 4Cs, but the general assumption in Canada seems to me to be that
English
departments are not competent to teach composition outside of the
English
department's very limited constraints (about literature, notions of the
good essay,
etc).  I don't feel like I'm substituting anything in Engineering.  It
is not a matter of
Engineering covering for the failure of English to offer enough
composition
courses.  Rather my job exists because _Engineers_ recognize the
important of
communication within their discipline.  Unlike the advanced composition
course
you posit, I don't have to fabricate advertising, or grant proposals
because there is
a real discourse, the discourse of a discipline, just waiting to be
tapped.  At the
same time, I bring to bear exactly the kind of creativity that you
suggest, so I am
not in total disagreement.  I do think, however, that the best way to
teach students
to value the "professional writing tasks they will be asked to perform
beyond the
academy" is to begin to have them write about relevant issues within
it.   As a
Language across the Curriculum Coordinator, I have the opportunity to
shape
assignments to fulfill that goal and to make the writing centre a vital
part of the
teaching process.  I know that in an hour of writing conference, I can
teach a
student more than a comp course can. (I've had students say so).  It's
not some
second-rate substitute to account for the weakness of the Canadian
system, it is a
superb pedagogical strategy supported consistently by research (mostly
done by
people who teach comp courses).

Rob Irish