 To Ron and other members of the two-phase dysk. gang:

<bigger>Ron Vetter wrote and quoted:

>From: Alastair Wyse <<[log in to unmask]>

snip...

>  The first thing I read on PD after I was diagnosed was Dr.Harvey

>Sagar's book " Parkinson's Disease " in which he explains dyskinesia

>as  occuring at max dopamine  or peak dose i.e. too much dopamine  but
very interestingly he says this occurs 1/2 hour after taking L-dopa.

I don't believe in peak dose dyskinesia except where the first and

>second phase have run together . I sometimes get this effect when I

>do not take enough L-dopa . Too much L-dopa does not produce

>dyskinesia but slight dizzyness .

snip...

Ron,

You add a new theory to the existing ones about two-phase dyskinesia.
Alastair seems to say it is the only kind of dyskinesia that realy exists
and that the top of med's dyskinesia is in fact a two-phase dyskinesia in
disguise. The other two theories that have been discussed  are the one of
Bob Martone, who said that in two phase dyskinesia the dysk. is provoked
by a certain level of dopamine, which one can't avoid passing through on
the way to the therapeutical level and again coming down from this,
because staying in the high therapeutic level is impossible. And my first
theory, which was that the end of dose dyskinesia was an abstinence
symptom and the same thing as a cold turkey of a heroine addict. This is
founded only on my own observation that my wearing of symptoms resembled
so much the abstinence symptoms of alcoholics and heroine addicts. This
was especially so in the first years of using sinemet, after that very
heavy dyskinesia replaced those earlier symptoms. I don't have enough
expertise to assess, how much the fact that all addictiveness has close
relation with dopamine, supports my view. A very weak point of my theorie
is it has nothing to say about the "start of med's" dyskinesia.     =20

Te theories of Alastair and Martone are closely linked, but a difference
is that Alastair says there is only one kind of dyskinesia and it is
always triggered by a higher than zero, but yet a too low dopa level. He
says in fact that too high doses don't exist and the theorie predicts
that every dyskinesia can be avoided by taking some extra sinemet. Bob
Martone and also my theory say that it is important to distinguish top of
med's dysk from start of dosis or end of dosis dysk. Top of med's dysk
can never subside by taking some more sinemet, while the short term
effect of taking some more while in the start or end phase can be
expected to be getting rid of the dysk. I have found (in the litterature
about two-phasic dysk.) that sinemet CR is contra-indicated for PWP's
suffering from it. That supports the Alastair or Martone theory.=20

The supposed differences among patients in their reactions to dopamine is
greater in the theory of Martone and me than in that of Allastair. That
makes the last theory attractive, because more simple.

I have experienced after my pallidotomy how much I can ameliorate the
effect of a dosis, when I first don't use no sinemet at all. I now start
using Sinemet 4 hours after getting up and that makes the effect better
and more predictable. After a short "drug holiday" of one day I can
profit from sinemet without any dyskinesia. I don't think this fact
supports especially one of the theories. But it supports in general the
notion that the whole matter is complex and the effect of one dosis is
determined also by other variables.

I will end with a remark about the astonishment which I felt reading that
some PWP's take a sinemet to sleep. It sounds for me as absurd as taking
amphetamine to sleep. To be able to sleep I need absolutely  first kick
off from sinemet.

Ida Kamphuis, Holland  </bigger>

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]