Jenny McCollum wrote:

> other.  He just has trembling hands, they shake when he rests, not when he
> sleeps, his shakes seem to get worse when he reaches for something, he
> started saying he couldn't talk as well, though we didn't notice anything at
> first.  In a space of two years, he drools pretty bad, and we are starting
> to not understand him when he talks. He seems to walk ok, though he is slow.
> In the last year, he has lost at least 30 or 40 lbs, he is very small now,
> it takes him a long time to eat. His grandfather died from Huntington's
> disease, but his own father, now 85, doesn't have any of the symptoms,
> though he shakes a little from old age I'm told.  I've never seen him, he
> abandoned my Dad when my Dad was 2, and I just found this out by contacting
> my half-uncle.  My dad is 59.

This *could* be Parkinson's, but the fact that the tremor gets worse
when he reaches for something ("intention tremor") is not classical.
He really does need to see a neurologist.  If it's Parkinson's, he
stands to gain a lot with treatment.

Best,

Bob

ROBERT A. FINK, M. D., F.A.C.S.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
Phone:  (510) 849-2555   FAX:  (510) 849-2557

WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"