Here is another stab at it: self employed means he might have some kind of
insurance for himself or the business, but if he doesn't maybe he could be
convinced he needs to get some, from a company that requires a physical by a
doctor?  I understand why some folks do not like to go to doctors, regardless
of the situation, maybe he is using your mothers misdiagnosis as an excuse,
but has other unspoken reasons such as:1 Does not have the money, or does have
it, but does not want to spend it to see doctor. 2.Affraid of  painful or
uncomfortable tests or procedures. 3. Does not want to leave work or other
activities, to get exam or treatment. 4. "Knows" what he has, does not want it
confirmed. 5. Does not believe he can be helped after diagnosis 6.  Too lazy
to make an appointment with doc.
7. Lives too far from doctor, does not like to travel, or break daily
routine.8 Does not trust any doctor to give an accurate diagnosis.
Here are countermeasures I would try. 1, Check out and see if he is covered by
insurance, if not, offer to pay, as a gift from his kids, for an occasion,
like his birthday. 2. Tell him that the tests for what he may have PD is
mostly painless and mostly just being observed. (I believe this is true,
unless someone tells me otherwise.) 3 Offer to watch his business, or get
someone who is capable, if it is specialized and offer to go and make sure it
is done right. 4. Tell him it is 50/50 chance it is not as bad as he thinks,
and then he and his children could be at ease.
5. Tell him how many people can be helped, regardless of the diagnosis, and
you hate to watch him suffer needlessly. 6Make the appointment for him, or get
a standby appointment, when the doc gets a no-show, they could call you and
you could bring him over right away.  7. Offer to drive him, or fly him,
whatever, and combine with a nice dinner or some other sightseeing diversion.
8 Get him to go to a well known diagnostic center,or hospital,  where several
doctors are available, and have modern facilities, which should make the
diagnosis state of the art.
Three more random thoughts: Tell him if he is trying to save his money to give
his family a large inheritance, that you'd rather see him live long enough to
enjoy it, than have it wasted on a fancy funeral!  Offer him a bribe of some
kind like a new computer, or whatever he would like, if he goes to a doctor.
Tell him that hundreds of people now know what he is doing and will think he
has become a better father by getting himself checked out, and if he doesnt
they are going to think "otherwise"!!! Good luck!  [log in to unmask]