Ivan,
try this:
The Honorable John Porter, MC                                   5 Apr 98
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC  20515

Dear Representative Porter,

As you probably well know, Dr Abraham Lieberman (accompanied by Mohammed Ali)
recently delivered an incredibly meaty and concise testimony about Parkinson's
Disease (PD) before the House Commerce Committee. His testimony was an
eloquent summary of the possibilities. This letter is in response to that
testimony.

I learned several important things from his remarks.

Because you can do something about this, I want to share the following
information with you:

1.  Over two million Americans have PD (half of them undiagnosed and not yet
symptomatic--an optimal time to cure the disease).

2.  The cost of not responding is staggering--10 billion dollars a year (half
of which is paid directly by the taxpayers).

3.  Increasing lifespans-expected from other medical breakthroughs (fighting
cancer, stopping progression of heart disease, nutrition, preventive and
public health initiatives, etc.) will add to this tax burden unless PD can be
well controlled or cured.  Eventually, an estimated 10% of the population
(disabled by PD) could further  "disable" another 10 % (of caregivers.)

4. The ability to regenerate neurons via "neurotrophic factors" while complex,
can be found using today's technology.   Much has been started, but much
remains to be done before what is known will become useful to patients and
society.

5.  Research done to cure PD is going to pay substantial collateral dividends
in the control of other debilitating neurological diseases.

6.  For many years, research has proceeded at an underfunded [slower than
necessary] pace.  Research proposals "of high scientific merit" are not being
done because they lack funding.

I urge you to support full funding of the  "Udall Bill"(HR 1462) immediately.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance to you.

Best Regards,

Attention PWPs, and caregivers,

I hope you find this useful.

The debate over funding the federal budget is upon us. This is basically a
zero sum game. We compete with the Natn'l Endowment For the Arts, pet road
projects, operating the B-2, etc.  for funds.

Your politicians need to hear from you.

Rep. John Porter. is the Chairman of the Labor/HHS APPROPRIATIONS
Subcommittee.  I am told he dislikes  "earmarked funds." He has been difficult
to convince of the need for a separate PD bill in the past.

Representative Porter especially needs to get PWP and caregiver letters from
his district-Waukegan and the surrounding area just North of Chicago.

This is a modified, more generic letter than the one I sent.  My intent is
that this be a starting vehicle for other PWPs.

Please pick one and do it:
1. Send a completely fresh hand written (if legible, the  best option),
typewritten ( or computer word processor  generated) one page letter:
 Using some ideas gleaned, from the Lieberman /Ali testimony is not a bad idea
Several sources, have a copy of that testimony (including me).
2.  Modify and send this letter to suite your situation.
3.  Print the first page of this e-mail, sign it and send it to him (beats the
heck out of doing nothing!)

Please send something and/or call your Congresspersons about full funding of
the Udall bill (H. R. 1462 S. 684.).  If you write Rep Porter from outside his
district, please remember to send a courtesy copy of your letter to your own
Representative.

Please send something--Soon.

Regards,

WHH