Ronald Vetter  1936, dz PD 1984, carbidopa/levodopa, Mirapex, selegiline
[log in to unmask]     Ridgecrest, California
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter
----------
>From: Anne Rutherford <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help!!!   Allergy to the  filler' in Mirapex
>Date: Sat, Apr 4, 1998, 6:26 AM
snip

>Who makes Mirapex?

Pharmacia andUpjohn

>Have they a web page? An 800 number?
yes, web page

>Do all versions of Mirapex contain cornstarch.?
>
>Do some tablets use other fillers?
>
>What are they?
>
>Who knows for sure what was used in the test tablets?
>
>Anyone else allergic to cornstarch?
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do?
 the available info excerpted from their page:

Pramipexole dihydrochloride is a white to off-white powder substance.
Melting occurs in the range of 296=B0 C to 301=B0 C, with decomposition.
Pramipexole dihydrochloride is more than 20% soluble in water, about 8% in
methanol, about 0.5% in ethanol, and practically insoluble in
dichloromethane. MIRAPEX Tablets, for oral administration, contain 0.125 mg=
,
0.25 mg, 1.0 mg, or 1.5 mg of pramipexole dihy-drochloride monohydrate.
Inactive ingredients consist of mannitol, corn starch, colloidal silicon
dioxide, povidone, and magnesium stearate.

 (the cornstarch is there. I requested via feedback -whether the supplied
tablets had cornstarch. reply not guaranteed nor when it will come.)

(the info below also caught my eye)

Drug Interactions
Carbidopa/levodopa: Carbidopa/levodopa did not influence the
pharmacokinetics of pramipexole in healthy volunteers (N=3D10). Pramipexole
did not alter the extent of absorption (AUC) or the elimination of
carbidopa/levodopa, although it caused an increase in levodopa C max by
about 40% and a decrease in T max from 2.5 to 0.5 hours.

(This is very much of an effect in my opinion!
40% increase in peak concentration of levodopa in blood is significant.
reaching the max in half an hour vice two and a half hours is also
significant!

I am taking only four 0.25 mg Mirapex tablets per day now - for a total of
1.00mg per day - Had been taking three of these as halves six times a day
concurrently with six halves of 25/250 c/l-dopa.

I had not noted - nor expected - effects that indicated such a higher spike=
,
but since I changed to four a day about two weeks ago, there have been some
more lengthy "squirming" time of dyskinesia after taking the whole 0.25  mg=
.
tablet with every other half-25/250 c/l-dopa tab.)

Anyone else noting more dyskinesia using Mirapex?
Do you take both pills together? how much and timing relative to Sinemet?

the Miraex is said to equilibrate after two days, bt this may be for the
larger test doses on healthy young volunteers???

I will send any info to the list if I get a response to my e-mail query.   =

 ron