Hi Anne;

You wrote............

> Some (many?) drugs have a filler added to the active ingredients  in the
> tablet .The  Mirapex sold in Canada has just such a filler--- cornstarch.
> Cornstarch is not supposed to cause trouble but there are people who are
> allergic to it.

My Pharmacist says that powdered medications that are pressed into
tablets all have "a filler" and 90% (approx.) include cornstarch and
lactose.  Only in rare instances are the filler ingredients listed on
something you would take with you when you leave the Pharmacy!
(often your prescription is filled from a bulk supply and you get a
plastic vial with a Pharmacy label with your name, your drs. name,
the name of the drug, and the dosage) Even in instances where you do
get a labelled bottle of a drug (I have Tasmar) the drug companys
label only lists the active ingredients.  You would have to look at
the product monograph supplied by the manufacturer to find out what
the filler components are. (and I did not get a product monograph
with my Tasmar)  If there is more than 1 manuf. for any given drug
then it is likely any pharmacy supplied info. would be generic and
list active ingredients only.  It appears there is no standard that
requires a packaging label that lists every ingredient! It also
appears that different strengths of a given drug might have different
fillers and trial meds may have different fillers than production
meds.

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do?

If anyone has an allergy they should carry out a form of due
diligence and ascertain every ingredient of every medication before
they start a longterm regime of medication.

> Thanks
>
> Anne Rutherford 64 dx1980

Best regards.........Murray 53/4 Vancouver,BC Canada
.