originally posted 10 October 1997

WASHINGTON (October 10, 1997 00:28 a.m. EDT http://www.nando.net) - Millions
of people are walking around depressed without even realizing it, and their
doctors
and families are missing what could be a serious illness as well, experts said
on Thursday.

More than 66 percent of people with clinical depression go undiagnosed, but
the
disease is easily treated, doctors, psychologists and members of Congress told
a news conference.

"There's 17 million people in the United States who suffer from depression,
and
less than 33 percent of them seek treatment," Michael Faenza, president of the
National Mental Health Association (NMHA), said.

Steven Hyman, director of the National Institute of Mental Health, said most
people still believed the symptoms of depression, which include persistent sad
or anxious moods, sleeping too much or too little, appetite changes and
fatigue, were some sort of character defect.

"Based on everything we know from biochemical science, we can say that
depression
is not a moral failing," he said.

"You can't just tell people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps."

On Thursday the NMHA, the American Psychiatric Association, the National
Alliance
for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) and the National Depressive and Manic-Depressive
Association sponsored a nationwide series of free, confidential screenings for
depression.

Faenza said such screenings in the past had turned up the extent of the
problem.

"Up to 60 percent of people screened have been found to have depression," he
said in an interview.

Perhaps people self-selected, he added -- meaning that those who felt they
might
be depressed tended to go to screenings.

But he said the stigma of mental illness was stopping people from getting
help.

Senators and members of Congress, opening one free screening in a Senate
office
building, said their own experiences showed how ignorant people were about
depression.

"My father committed suicide," Nevada Sen. Harry Reid said.

"As I look back, (I realize) my father was depressed a lot of the time. Had we
known my father would shoot himself, we would have been more concerned about
this thing we call depression," Reid, a Democrat, added.

Michigan Democrat Lynn Rivers said her battle with bipolar disorder, also
known as
manic depression, nearly cost her the race for Congress when her opponent used
it
against her.

"It never impacted my ability to serve," she said.

"This is a disease that is treatable. This is a disease that is biologically
based."

But Hyman said most doctors did not even recognize depression.

Only 40 percent of people who are depressed and who see their doctors are
diagnosed and referred for treatment, he said.

"Only 20 percent of children going to pediatricians are being recognized and
treated," he added.

Untreated depression costs the U.S. economy $43 billion a year in lost
workdays,
eventual hospital stays and other losses, Laurie Flynn, executive director of
NAMI, said.

By MAGGIE FOX, Health and Science Correspondent
Copyright 1997 Nando.net
Copyright 1997 Reuters

janet paterson
51-10 / sinemet-selegiline-prozac
almonte-ontario-canada / [log in to unmask]