1.

I have just been diagnosed with 'moderate' PD. I'll be 60 in August. I've
had some symptoms for about two years, notably tremor in left hand
(especially when stressed), slow movement (eg getting out of car) and
general lack of dexterity.

My neuro wants me to undergo physiotherapy, with no drugs, and check it out
in three months. The only drug I'm on is a beta blocker, atenolol, 50
mg/day, or 100 mg if needed, which was originally prescribed by my GP for
the tremor. It works well for that and has lowered my traditionally high
blood pressure to 'normal'. Neuro wants me off the beta blocker as it's
'inappropriate for PD'. He suggests it has bad side effects, namely
lethargy. Yes, I have found that to be so, but otherwise I like it a lot,
since it kills the tremor and lowers my BP.

Has anybody any comment on/experience with this line of treatment?

2.

Re size of PD population. In UK we are required to report to driving
licence agency if we have PD. Wouldn't this be a way of measuring pwps?

3.

I am interested in seeing a list of famous people with PD. Is there one?
Did Adolf Hitler have PD? (My 14-year-old son's reaction when I told him I
had it!)

4.

I understand Dr Morton Shulman of Toronto has been involved in a PD drug
Deprenyl. What's the story?

Looking forward to responses.

Tim Foster

                 -
                /
              //
           C //
           ///          /
          ////        //
          \\\\        \\
           C \\
              \\
                \
                 -

             Timothy R V Foster   [log in to unmask]

 The Garden Flat, 140 Salmons Lane, Whyteleafe, Surrey CR3 0HA UK

 Telephone (UK)  0181-763-2225                  Fax 0181-763-2011

 Telephone (International) 44-181-763-2225    Fax 44-181-763-2011

 The Slogo Register  http://www.thebiz.co.uk/slogos