Linda...

After reading your post and thinking about the "Parkinson's
Personality" as described, I've concluded that we as individuals
and as a group have at one point in our lives had a "Pre-Parkinson's
Personality," which was totally unique to the individual.

Prior to the individual being handicapped (literally) by the disease,
we were each able to do whatever we were genetically
programmed to do, IF we wanted to do so.  Mostly our individual
minds and bodies were in harmony and worked together at our
command.

Because of that the none of us as individuals was hampered in
being our maximum self except by our own inclination and by
society's restraints.

With the onset of Parkinson's we've found our daily life FORCIBLY
regulated by the need to take drugs on a semi-set-yet-often-
changing schedule just so we can function and THAT varies from
person-to-person.  So there goes our impulsiveness and much of
our spontaneity right down the tubes.

If we AREN'T stoic and accepting about this unwelcome drug-
induced-regulation and chose to fight these regulations, USUALLY
we end up feeling much worse physically AND emotionally than
we do if we permit the drugs we're forced to take to somewhat
regulate our daily life.

In my opinion, many of the other traits attributed to the the
"Parkinson's Personality" are not genetic in origin, but are forced
on us BY the disease.  We are eventually MOLDED as
individuals AND as a group by the grossly uncomfortable,
physically, emotionally, often downright embarrassing symptoms
of PD and the daily struggle we have Parkinson's.  And let's not
discount the  regulation on the individual imposed upon many of
us by a lessening or loss of income caused by the disease.

Just as a craggy, faceted rock tossed into the ocean is eventually
ground into a smooth, rounded stone by continually having it's
edges worn away by the sheer repetition and power of the oceans
waves, so the disease grinds down our own unique "edges" till
we've grown somewhat featureless, tho no less beautiful in our
own way.

Barb Mallut