Timothy R V Foster wrote:

> 1.
>
> I have just been diagnosed with 'moderate' PD. I'll be 60
> in August. I've
> had some symptoms for about two years, notably tremor in
> left hand
> (especially when stressed), slow movement (eg getting out
> of car) and
> general lack of dexterity.
>
> My neuro wants me to undergo physiotherapy, with no drugs,
> and check it out
> in three months. The only drug I'm on is a beta blocker,
> atenolol, 50
> mg/day, or 100 mg if needed, which was originally
> prescribed by my GP for
> the tremor. It works well for that and has lowered my
> traditionally high
> blood pressure to 'normal'. Neuro wants me off the beta
> blocker as it's
> 'inappropriate for PD'. He suggests it has bad side
> effects, namely
> lethargy. Yes, I have found that to be so, but otherwise I
> like it a lot,
> since it kills the tremor and lowers my BP.
>
> Has anybody any comment on/experience with this line of
> treatment?
>
> 2.
>
> Re size of PD population. In UK we are required to report
> to driving
> licence agency if we have PD. Wouldn't this be a way of
> measuring pwps?
>
> 3.
>
> I am interested in seeing a list of famous people with PD.
> Is there one?
> Did Adolf Hitler have PD? (My 14-year-old son's reaction
> when I told him I
> had it!)
>
> 4.
>
> I understand Dr Morton Shulman of Toronto has been
> involved in a PD drug
> Deprenyl. What's the story?
>
> Looking forward to responses.
>
> Tim Foster
>
>                  -
>                 /
>               //
>            C //
>            ///          /
>           ////        //
>           \\\\        \\
>            \\\          \
>            C \\
>               \\
>                 \
>                  -
>
>  =================
>              Timothy R V Foster   [log in to unmask]
>
>  The Garden Flat, 140 Salmons Lane, Whyteleafe, Surrey CR3
> 0HA UK
>
>  Telephone (UK)  0181-763-2225                  Fax
> 0181-763-2011
>
>  Telephone (International) 44-181-763-2225    Fax
> 44-181-763-2011
>
>  The Slogo Register  http://www.thebiz.co.uk/slogos

   Hi, Timothy...

    Your experience suggests that the reason I'm not doing
as well as I should may be the 25mgs of atenolol  I've  been
on for a while, following my cardiologist's direction.
There's a heart condition which he feels need attention. I'm
a PWP, age 77, diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago, taking Sinemet and
Paxil. Are there any other side effects beside lethargy,
according to your neuro?

    I expect to bring your report to the attention of my
medical team anad to stop taking the atenolol. If anything
develops I'll report to you.

    You are now part of a wonderful group.

    Best wishes,

    Herman W. land