P Jones  wrote:

> My wife, 66/3, suffers from back pain. It is located between her
shoulder
> blades. Seems to come on whenever she starts to do anything at the
counter
> top eg. cooking, washing dishes, ironing. She can't take any of the
aspirin
> type painkillers, because they are too hard on her stomach. Any of
the
> Tylenol types don't help.
> Our neurologist says he doesn't think it has anything to do with
PD.

I have experienced similar pain, in similar circumstances, for years.
It may not be directly the result of PD but it is most certainly the
result of the postural problems which ARE caused by PD.

Shortly after my pallidotomy last year I was assessed by the
physiotherapist at the Australian Neuromuscular Research Institute.
She observed that when standing and working at a counter, my hips
swivelled downwards and backwards, throwing my shoulders forward.
This of course puts a lot of strain on the shoulder muscles, hence
the pain.  We found that if I consciously swivelled my hips forward
and upward, the natural curvature of the spine was restored and my
shoulder pain was/is much reduced.

I would love to tell you that shoulder pain is now a thing of the
past but unfortunately knowing what to do and doing it are not the
same thing. I tend to stand badly until the pain becomes unbearable,
and then "remember" what to do. I am reasonably sure that this pain
would be history if I were to discipline myself to stand correctly at
all times.

I hope this is some help.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/11