George Lussier writes:

> in general the knee feels great.The problem was the general anesthesia.
For
> 6 days I felt miserable.Nearly every PD symptom
> I've ever known returned for an extended visit. My balance was way off,
my
> tremor was very active, my ability to walk came apart as did my speech
and
> my ability to drive a car. My ability to eat as well as my appitite
became
> a problem. My head throbed and I was stiff and rigid. Each night I was up
> every 1 or 2 hours to empty out a bursting bladder. My standard PD meds
> could not keep up with the out-flow as I tried to rehydrate my dryed out
> system and to wash out the long lasting drugs from the general anesthesia
> To say that I was depressed is to state the obvious. How low was I? I had
> to unlace my shoes to see! What was by far the worse for me was the fear
> had at my very
> core; that my sinking ship would never right itself. It turned out to be
> only an awake nightmare
>
>     What has been your experience with General Anesthesia?
>
>    A. Computer breaks down [Spell checker needed badly]
>    B. Body breakdown in the face of General Anesthesia
>    C. ?? stay tuned

My experience with general anesthesia has always been poor, so I can rely
on it and don't plan any doings for awhile.  Now that I have PD,  it does
make recovering slower: balance is off, rigidity increases, a general
fogginess invades the brain.  Luckily, it doesn't depress me because I know
it's just temporary, but it sure is a pain in the neck.  My most recent,
shoulder spur removal March 2, was more of the same.  With my two
deteriorating discs, spinals are  never an option, so I've learned to take
the week off and sleep as much as I can, drink plenty of fluids to wash out
the system, and do lots of mild exercises to help stay loose.   Those not
used to surgeries, note bene!!

Kathy Kunz, 62/4 <[log in to unmask]>