hi cyber-dad

you wrote:
>after going to bed and talking to my minister, neuro, children
>i found out i wasn't as bad off as i thought.

just scrub those grimy lenses and voila!

>i've always been a fighter so why quit now.
>the worst is over. i know what to expect.
>i've gone to the same church for 64 years.
>whatever your religion is believe in the lord
>now i am not saying everybody's got to.
>i am not one to preach religion.

nor am i
but you have said something important

i considered myself agnostic/atheist throughout my life
until the past few years of reading/learning/growing
changed my mind

e.g.:
from m. scott peck's book "the road less traveled and beyond":

***
the term 'higher power' first appeared in, or at least was initially
popularized by,
the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous...

the term implies that there is something 'higher' than us as individuals
and that it is appropriate to submit ourselves to that something higher,
be it love, light, truth, or god...

what we call the scientific method
is nothing more than a series of conventions and procedures
that we have adopted over the centuries
in order to combat our very human tendency to want to deceive ourselves

we practice this method out of a dedication to something higher
than our immediate intellectual or emotional comfort;
namely, the truth.
science, therefore, is an activity submitted to a higher power....

in this secular age
we are actually encouraged to think in terms of luck
as if good fortune had no more meaning than a roll of the dice.
we imagine everything to be a matter of mere accident or chance
assuming that good luck and bad luck are equal
that they balance out and add up to zero
or nothing

this attitude easily leads to the philosophy of despair called nihilism...
when it it brought to its logical conclusion,
nilihilism ultimately holds that there is nothing of any worth.

there is another way to look at good luck and unexpected gifts...
the downpours in our lives...in retrospect...
often seem to have been blessings in disguise..
some of us see a pattern of beneficence...
far greater and more constant than any pattern of misfortune...
for this beneficent pattern of gift-giving
we have a name: grace.

***
i wonder if the frequent occurrence of grace in my life
is sometimes disguised as a 74 year old flash in the pan!

>i will fight and not do any any foolish thing.
>was just on a down peek. glad you all under stand
>see long time pwp have problem too.
>with the help of the family. all great advice
>we all get in the time of need
>all i can say from my heart is god thank you all
>hope to see a cure in my life time
>as i plan to live a long long time to bug  U all lo lo

i am lolo-ing right there along with you!

>and a happy easter to 1 & all

did you know that it's also known as japan day?
the day of the rising sun/son!

love

sis

janet paterson
51-10 / sinemet-selegiline-prozac
almonte-ontario-canada / [log in to unmask]