ellen peck wrote:

> I am curious to know if there is any information on the incidence of  > PD among vegetarians. Has anyone ever heard of any study to determine > if vegetarians are at the same statistical risk of getting PD as
> people who eat meat? Has anyone ever known a PWP who had also been a
> vegetarian for many years? Just curious.

Ellen Peck's innocent question prompted a search of my Current
Science Reviews (plug) files, that turned up no direct answer,
but the following library references about dietary factors that
might be of interest:

Morens D et al; Neur 1996;46:1270-1274:
In 30-yr study of 8006 elderly men, authors found some protection
against PD by eating legumes (peas, beans) but not from Vitamin E
supplements.

Seidler A et al; Neur 1996;46:1275-1284:
Authors studied 380 German rural PD patients and 379 controls for
risks of various factors, finding some correlation with pesticides
and wood preservatives but not with others. They also found
significant familial connections in the PD group, and inverse
correlation with smoking.

Ben-Shlomo Y; J Neur N*surg Psych 1996;61:4-16:
Comprehensive review of PD etiology (still obscure); 165 refs.

(Book Review) Arch Neur 1996;53:721:
Ellenberg J, Koller W, Langston W (eds): Etiology of Parkinson's
Disease. Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 1995: Despite decades of
effort, the cause of PD remains elusive.

Hellenbrand W et al; Neur 1996;47:636-643:
Questionnaires about food habits answered by 342 German PD patients
and 342 controls showed negative correlation for raw vegetables,
potatos, beer, spirits, coffee, but not wine or tea; no significant
difference for fruits or cooked vegetables, and positive
correlation for sweets, snacks, and raw meat.

Hellenbrand W et al; Neur 1996;47:644-650:
In the same study, responses about specific nutrients showed
inverse correlation for beta-carotene, ascorbic acid and niacin,
no difference for tocopherol, protein, or fat, and positive
correlation for monosaccharide and polysaccharide intake.

Marder K et al; Neur 1998:50:279-281:
They surveyed environmental risk factors for 89 non-demented PD
patients and 188 controls from an urban multiethnic community.
Correlation of PD with area farming and well water was positive
for African-Americans, but negative (protective) for Hispanics.

Also, since etiology of PD is such a hot subject, it was a
challenge that revealed my woefully inadequate indexing ability.
As is well known by its practitioners, indexing is a complex art,
often unappreciated. Cheers,

Joe

J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road