Alastair;  Your theory sounds good, but if it is valid, why has Aricept made
such an amazing improvement in my husband's dementia?  His memory is almost
completely returned, and he can now speak clearly so we can understand him. I
thought it was because the neurotransmiter , acetylcholine, is increased,
therefore accessing cells that are still there but previously inaccessable. He
also suffers from Shy-drager  syndrome and his blood pressure can fall
suddenly, precipitating syncopy and complete passing out. His Neuro thinks
that part of his improved cognition is that we try to keep his BP above
160/100 when he might stand up. This would go along with the improved blood
flow theory. The only thing I am sure of is that brain cells we thought were
long dead are now functioning again so they couldn't have been dead.  Barbara
Smith,CG/Ken/70/17