Jim Caldwell wrote:

> I operate a Power Mac Performer 5260 OS8 and cannot always open "in-mail"
> attachments because they are not in a Mac friendly format code such as
> RichText. I think you must ask the sender to re-code the document RichText
> and send it in that form.

Aside from the "Mac problem" :-)  the problem is really that sending
*any* formatted material on the Internet without prior arrangements
with the recipient is not a good idea.  Binary files (like any
word-processor format, Mac, Windows, or any other) are not friendly
to the Internet, which is based on pure ASCII text.  Binary files
have to be "encoded", and there are numerous schemes to do that.
Some include MIME (fairly universal), uuencode (for Windows and
Unix), and BinHex (favorite among Mac people).

The way to avoid all of this is *not* to post anything to a List
which is in anything but plain text or ASCII, and send no
"attachments" unless prior arrangements have been made with the
recipient (to make sure that he or she has the means to decode them).
 "Rich Text" will always be a problem, whether sent on a Mac or any
other kind of computer.

Best,

Bob

ROBERT A. FINK, M. D., F.A.C.S.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
Phone:  (510) 849-2555   FAX:  (510) 849-2557

WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"