In the past, I've written about my mother Joyce (68/14 months). So many
have given me information, advice, and
friendship. I just wanted to pass on something my father said.

A few months ago, I got a call from a relative telling me that a favorite
uncle from England (we're in the U.S.) had advanced liver cancer, was
dying, and didn't want my mother to know -- he knew she was going through a
bad time with her PD and he didn't want to add to her worries. Knowing that
my mother would want to know, I called my uncle and got the OK to tell my
mother. When I called my mother with the news, she was out, so I told my
father (who, too, didn't know). We were, of course, very upset. During the
course of the conversation, we talked about my mother and my uncle and the
saddness that was coming in on us from all directions. When I asked how my
mother was doing, my father, with his voice cracking, passed over my
question and told me that despite everything, all the changes, when he
looks at my mother he still sees the beautiful 18 year old that he fell in
love with. The slight tremor, the slight hunching over, the slight facial
stiffness is just not there for him. I suspect it never will be. So when
you wonder how others may see you, you should know that there are some that
see you exactly as you really are.

Debbie White