Barb; One doctor told me that when someone has a stroke, the cells are dead
and new ones have to be trained to take on the same tasks but that in a
disease like PD, it is the neurotransmitters  that are affected and if we can
increase the right ones, we can hope to restore movement or mental activities.
This makes sense for Ken because sinemet increases dopamine and makes him able
to move. He also takes zoloft which affects seratonin and makes him less
depressed(he at one time had a deep clinical depression), and he takes Aricept
which affects acetylcholine and makes his mind work better. This doctor was
not a neurologist, but it does seem that if we can get the right
neurotransmitter balance for Ken he does much better. Barbara
Smith,CG/Ken/70/17