<< SN)

 Margaret,

 I think your idea of mobilizing all our family and friends in the key
 districts is great!  I had been wondering what I could do since my (and my
 father's--another voter) congressman is not on the list.  This is certainly
 one way to make a difference.

 Another thing that caught my attention was reference to Rep. Gingrich in
 Bernard Klainberg's digest article, published here a few days ago.  Guess
 who our congressman is?  NEWT!!  Does anyone here who is involved in the
 efforts to get the money allocated have some suggestions for how we might
 put some pressure on Newt and what to say?  Both Dad and I would be happy
 to write letters and I'm sure I could get some local friends and neighbors
 to join in.  Just tell me what to say!

 We are eager to do something down here is conservative old Georgia.

 Jane Koenig

Ms Koenig,

There have been these two example letters on the list of which I am aware
 These are only suggestions, the one you send needs to say what you want.
So...
Change them to say what you want.

1. Copy them into your word processor,
2. Choose one, revamp it fit your personal circumstances.
3. Get rid of the e-mail artifact (short text lines each ending in a paragraph
mark).
4. Print it, date it, sign it and send it.
Regards,
WHH
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The Honorable Newt Gingrich, M.C.
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative Gingrich,

 I/we seek your support for an action which will benefit the Parkinson's
community's great need for increased research funding.  I/we ask you to
support specific appropriations to fully fund the Morris K. Udall Parkinson's
Research and Education Act, which President Clinton signed into law November
13, 1997.  Authorizing up to $100 million in Parkinson's-focused research,
this historic legislation is the first to mandate expansion and coordination
of the federal Parkinson's research agenda.

Continued Congressional leadership is required to ensure that the maximum
possible funding is allocated to the most promising research this year.  I
care because I [my husband/wife/parent etc.] suffer from Parkinson's disease,
a progressive neurological disorder that destroys brain cells controlling
motor function.

Available treatment only partially alleviates the resulting stiffness, tremor
and slowness of movement. Eventually it leaves its victims unable to walk, to
talk, even to move. [Revise for your personal story]

In addition to these devastating human consequences, Parkinson's financially
cripples our nation: It costs an estimated $25 billion in direct and indirect
costs per year.  In 1997, U.S. support for direct Parkinson's research was
only estimated to be $34 million, or a mere $34 per year per patient, which is
far less than most other diseases receive.

The Udall Act has authorized a robust increase in this effort, but without
adequate appropriations the Parkinson's community, and our country, will
continue to suffer.  This is unfair to the Parkinson's community, and it
ignores a tremendous scientific opportunity.  Scientists say they have the
potential for major treatment advances, and very possibly a cure of
Parkinson's, in this decade.  But this will not happen without an adequate
research investment.

Last year with passage of the Udall Act, Congress took the first step to
reprioritizing Parkinson's research.  I/we urge you to continue this progress
by appropriating sufficient resources to fully fund the $100 million
Parkinson's-focused research effort.

Thank you for your attention.  I/we look forward to your response.
Sincerely,
(.Your name, address, and phone number)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The Honorable Newt Gingrich, MC
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC  20515

Dear Representative Gingrich,

As you probably well know, Dr Abraham Lieberman (accompanied by Mohammed Ali)
recently
delivered an incredibly meaty and concise testimony about Parkinson's Disease
(PD) before the House
Commerce Committee. His testimony was an eloquent summary of certain
possibilities. . If one tenth of
this program is accomplished, soon (better yet, all of it, soon), then this is
the best news for Parkinson's
sufferers and the federal budget in years. This letter is in response to that
testimony.

I learned several important things from his remarks. Because you can do
something about this, I want to
share the following information with you:

1. Over two million Americans have PD (half of them undiagnosed and not yet
symptomatic--an
      optimal time to cure the disease).

2. The cost of not responding is staggering--10 billion dollars a year (half
of which is paid directly by
       the taxpayers).

3. Increasing lifespans-expected from other medical breakthroughs (fighting
cancer, stopping
      progression of heart disease, nutrition, preventive and public health
initiatives, etc.) will add to this
      tax burden unless PD can be well controlled or cured.  Eventually, an
estimated 10% of the
      population (disabled by PD) could further  "disable" another 10 % (of
caregivers.)

4. The ability to regenerate neurons via "neurotrophic factors" while complex,
can be found using
       today's technology.   Much has been started, but much remains to be
done before what is known
       will become useful to patients and society.

5. Research done to cure PD is going to pay substantial collateral dividends
in the control of other
      debilitating neurological diseases.

6. For many years, research has proceeded at an underfunded [slower than
necessary] pace.  Research
       proposals "of high scientific merit" are not being done because they
lack funding.

I urge you to support full funding of the  "Udall Bill"(HR 1462) immediately.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance to you.

Best Regards,