>From: "Gary J. Cornwell" <[log in to unmask]>
>(From: Janet) Re: Theories/Causes of PD
>
>I thought this was very interesting especially regarding
>
>(1) Reduced blood supply to brain in PD & symptoms alleviating when
>adequate blood supply is restored.
>
>(2)  "Dormant" brain cells  coming to life w/adequate blood supply.
>
>Someone like to explain/comment ??
>How does this fit w/lamebrain/degenerative/dead brain cell theory?
>
>Thanks, >Janet

I, too, think it is interesting.

blood flow is certainly important; the pressure in the large arteries is
increased when the carotid and other arteries are clogged.  the reduced flow
into the brain when the carotid arteries port area is reduced affects brain
function.  the entire nutrients supply of the brain comes from this blood.

how or why blood flow within the brain is reduced in Parkinsonism could be a
major clue to the degeneration of cells. perhaps there is more known by
experts regarding this, but such detail has not been prominent in any
literature i have found.

even the force of gravity is sufficient to affect cerebral blood pressure
(which will affect osmotic pressure and flow of organic chemicals into and
out of the brain) - this effect is orthostatic hypotension.  if one stands
abruptly from lying supine, one can faint from lack of sufficient blood
ingredients.

standing on one's head (headand shoulders on mat with elbows on floor and
hands holding hips up and feet held high - or legs doing bicycle movements)
does alleviate dystonia for me and some others on this list-family.  perhaps
spect testing in posturalvariations from head up vertical to head down
vertical would be informative.

perhaps the equilibria of osmosis through the blood-brain-barrier provide
dopamine from other parts of the brain into the blood within the brain -
which dopamine is then supplied into the striatal loci where needed.

perhaps neurodegeneration is partly starvation of some of the needed
nutrients because of some quirks of blood flow into the substantia nigra
loci diminishing over time.

hope this becomes a useful thread of messages, ron
Ronald Vetter  1936, dz PD 1984, carbidopa/levodopa, Mirapex, selegiline
[log in to unmask]     Ridgecrest, California
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter