Dear Friends,

Yesterday I made a TV appearance along with Ivan and my husband, Jon.
It was a very positive experience.  We talked about Parkinson's Disease,
the Udall bill, World Parkinson's Day, the impact PD has on family,
etc..

Last night and today I have heard from many, many people who have
expressed what a wonderful job we did and how much they learned from the
show.  I would like to share with you what one teacher e-mailed me
today:

"We recorded your interview and watched last night.  You were wonderful
and seemed quite relaxed!  I am glad this came about and we can talk,
ask questions and share with you as you go through this journey.  I
think it would also be good if we can get involved in a formal/organized
way to push for funding for research for Parkinson's.  If you have any
ideas or suggestions for more involvement from us, please let me know."

I would appreciate hearing from any of you regarding an easy and simple
way to get information to 60 people regarding who they should write to
and what they should say to encourage the funding of the Udall bill.

Two Maine senators have responded to my e-mails and letters urging them
to support the funding of the Udall bill.  I am a little confused by
their responses.  One of them says "You will be pleased to learn that in
the final version of the Departments of Labor, Health and Human
Services, and Education and Related Agencies Appropriation Bill, a total
of $100 million dollars has been appropriated to fund basic research on
Parkinson's disease.".  The other one says "However, while the bill
authorized the National Institutes of Health to spend $100 million on
Parkinson's research and education, appropriations bills generally do
not provide line-item funding for disease-specific research.  Instead,
in the final report on the appropriations bill, the conference committee
stated that it was their understanding from NIH that sufficient funds
were available within the amounts provided in the Institute's FY 1998
budget to expand research on Parkinson's.  In fact, the projected
spending on Parkinson's research for FY 1998 is estimated at $98.5
million."  Would anyone care to comment?  What is the status of the
funding of the Udall bill?  I did not think $100 million had been
appropriated yet.

Thank you all for listening.

Karen :-)))