RESOUR> Harvard 'Beginners Guide to Diabetes' Launched

From: Xpress Press News Service [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 1998 9:39 AM

Online "Beginners Guide to Diabetes" Targets Newly Diagnosed

BOSTON - April 7, 1998 (XPN) - Newly diagnosed with diabetes?
Overwhelmed by the number of web references that pop up on your
favorite search engine when you type in the word "diabetes?"  Want
accurate, basic information to manage this disease for yourself or a
loved one - quickly?

Look no further than  Harvard-affiliated Joslin Diabetes Center's
brand new online "Beginners Guide to Diabetes" at
http://www.joslin.org.

Joslin Diabetes Center has been treating patients with diabetes for
100 years.  Their diabetes expertise - combined with their knowledge
about how frustrating and time-consuming online searches for
accurate disease information can be - has led them to offer this new
service off their home page.

"We noticed that about half the people filling out an online survey
on the Joslin site said they had had diabetes for less than a year,"
says Julie Rafferty, Director of Communications at the Center. "Unlike
a lot of diseases, diabetes is a disease that patients have to know a
lot about to manage it.  They need to know what, how much and when to
eat, when and how much to exercise, how their medication will
interact with their lifestyles, and more."

Diabetes affects an estimated 16 million Americans and many more
worldwide, and it leads to the death of 170,000 Americans each year.
Poorly controlled diabetes results in heart attacks and strokes,
blindness, kidney disease, nerve damage, impotence, and blood vessel
disease that can lead to amputation of a limb.

"There are a lot of great online resources for people with diabetes
to help them avoid these complications. But none  really provides new
patients with an easy, quick way to figure out `here's an overview
of the kinds of things I need to know, here's what I already know,
and here's what I need to ask my doctor about, " says Rafferty.

Go to www.joslin.org, and just click on the words " New to Diabetes?
Click here."  The  Joslin web site takes you to an easily outlined
set of documents that offers  the basics of what diabetes is, what
kinds of questions you need to ask your doctor, what tests your
doctor should be doing and when, as well as beginner's  information
on diet, exercise, diabetes medications and monitoring. Basic
information every person new to diabetes needs to know.  New
information will be updated and added to the Beginner's Guide as needed.

Interview Contact: Julie Rafferty, 617-432-2415
http://www.joslin.org

The Joslin Diabetes Center is located at 1 Joslin Place Boston,
MA 02215

Courtesy Net-Happenings.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/                                                        _/
_/        John S. Walker                                  _/
_/        Publisher, CSS Internet News (tm)               _/
_/        (Internet Training and Research)                _/
_/        PO Box 57247, Jackson Stn.,                     _/
_/        Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8P 4X1              _/
_/  Email [log in to unmask]                           _/
_/        http://www.networx.on.ca/~jwalker               _/
_/        "To Teach is to touch a life forever"           _/
_/         On the Web one touch can reach so far!         _/