4/15/98
Dear List Sibs,

I'm sure it would be like preaching to the choir to call this group to even
more action on Udall,  but I did want to explain that I finally took the
plunge.  Oh, I had written before, but NEVER a letter like this.  I used the
sort of "shell" that PAN sent us the other day and interlaced "our"  (Art's
and mine) story, and each of us on this list HAS quite a story, I know, and
then marched it over to the local offices of my U. S. Representative and my U.
S. Senator.  The responses of their staffs were wonderful in each case!  One
letter was delivered yesterday and one today.  I actually got to the
Congressman's office at around 4:30 yesterday afternoon and by 9:00 A.M.
today, I had had 2 calls--one from a staffer assuring me that the Congressman
would see it and that she had already faxed it to his legislative assistant
(L. A., guys, I'm learning some new lingo here) in charge of health issues
and, shortly after that, one from the L. A. herself.

I had planned to go in there and say something really cool, but, as it turned
out, I started to cry, much to my embarrassment, and could only ask them to
read it.  But even that didn't seem to hurt one bit!  The L.A. shared that
their team would be having a meeting next week to prioritize and strategize on
appropriating the funds for health issues and that my letter would be on top
of the pile, that the Congressman (Levin of MI) had supported Udall and had
signed the Upton-Waxman letter of support and to have PAN phone her with the
needed language.  She even knew of some of the specific research that was
being done, which was most heartening!  I was most impressed.  I really was!

I was much better in the office of the Senator this afternoon, only tearing up
once, and there I was able to speak about how research into Parkinson's would
benefit many other neurological disorders and list them.  While I sat there
the staffer read all 4 pages of my epistle right in front of me and HE welled
up!  So, at least, I got him to feel!

Michael Claeys at PAN (How lucky we are to have him!) told me something I want
to pass along.  He said, "First you must get them to feel; then, you must get
them to ACT!"  So what I did in writing my letter was to be very specific in
telling how it was affecting my husband in the workplace, how it might take me
away from my teaching position as a special educator of children who also
needed me to assume greater responsibility as a care-partner, how great the
return on the country's investment would be if a cure or an effective
treatment could be found  in time for us alone, how this disorder impacted the
nation financially, how close we were to finding a cure or effective treatment
and how funding Udall could make it a reality!  Man, I hit it all!

We all have stories.  AND THEY CAN MAKE AN IMPACT!

I did learn that email messages get sort of lost.  The congressman's office
explained that they are very hard to track and  last on the list as they take
a lot of time to sort through.  And she shared that they were responsive to
and actually liked typed letters as long as they didn't sense that they were
form letters.   I do think that taking them in is worthwhile but mailing them
is, too, and NOW IS THE TIME IF EVER IT WAS!

Something I think I may do is to prepare a number of letters and give them to
folks in other districts and even states, all typed and ready to go.
Seriously, if you want to find out what district anyone is in, just go to
www.pdaction.org, input your zip or the zip of anyone else and you'll get the
district, who the rep. and senators are, how to contact them, etc. Then give
the letters, all typed and ready to go with the return address and the address
of the elected official, to friends and family not in your district.  It will
be all done for them.  Perhaps we could even generate some samples on line on
this list!  What do you think?

This will be time well spent.  That $100,000 is out there waiting for US.  We
have a right to it.  We have a right to feel more than a bit of righteous
indignation that it has been approved but not yet funded and we have a right,
maybe even a responsibility to say that AND I DID!  I SAID I FELT INDIGNANT
ABOUT IT!  I wish I could remember who said it because I want to give credit
where credit is due and I want to say it correctly, which I will probably not,
but recently someone on our list indicated or said something to this effect:
"If they're not going to give it to us because we need it, then  they've got
to do it because it will impact them."  That wasn't it, but that IS the
message we have to send, too.  It is our responsibility!

I might be getting  a bit carried away here.  Wouldn't be the first time.  So
let me know, which I'm sure you will.  The worst that can happen is that I
will cry!  That seems to be par for the course these days.

You were a great choir to hear me out and now it's time for your beautiful
voices to be heard!

Barb 53 cg Art 56/1 year