Friends,
     I just read an article in the National EXAMINER. I might be of interest
to anyone who does not have a comfirmed dx of PD. Perhaps Judith Richards
might know how to find info to counter or comfirm this. I don't have spell-
check so please forgive any type-os. I quote the article as found in the Mar
31, 1998 issue.

     Food Allergy Mystery - SOLVED
     Warning to Millions of Americans
     An alleryy to the commom food substance gluten may be responsible for a
wave of health problems, say experts.
     A recent study found that 57 percent of people suffering from nervous
system disorders of unknown origin - such as shaky movements, unsteady gait
and weakness or numbness of the arms and legs - were found to be sensitive to
gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, rye and oats.
     Researchers say that other cases of neurological disease which have no
obvious cause, such as Parkinson's disease or multiple sclerosis, may also be
linked to gluten allergy.
     Gluten is a part of every American's diet, from breakfast toast to gravy
at dinner - yet as many as 40 million Americans may be allergic to it!
     "Gluten is a neuro-toxin", says Dr. Lloyd Rosenvold, author of the book
Gluten Free Diet--Can It Help?. "It poisons the nervous system by getting into
the bloodstream through the digestive system. Then it travels through part of
the nervous system where it causes problems.
     "I've worked with people who have multiple sclerosis, myasthenia gravis
(a muscle disease), irregular heartbeats, epilepsy and even schizophrenia,
which were caused by gluten allergy", he says.
     "If you have a problem and your doctor can't diagnose it, ask to be
tested for gluten sensitivity."
----by Ruth Watts