On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Gregory E. Leeman wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> John, my history is similar to yours in that I was very young when I started
> having symptoms (stiffness, writing problems and cogwheel rigidity) when I
...(snip)...
> The neurologist, Dr. Locuratolo, after an hour of poking, prodding and
> pushing plus another hour of talking with my physical therapist she said
> "they're going to have to rule out many other possibilities due to your age,
> but I firmly believe you have Parkinson's disease."  Having just turned 30,
> and this mental picture of a former girlfriend's dimented, wheelchair bound
> and shaking grandmother, I didn't hear another word she said.  It truly was
> very difficult to accept.  However, reality sets in over time and you start
> to adjust.  And, here I am seven years later having had brain surgery still
> trying to live as normally as one can with the physical limitations of PD.

Incredible. The first doc I went to at least sent me to a neuro the first
she did.

It does scare me very much to think about what the future can bring.
My girlfriend (Esther, as some of you know) had exactly this picture of
her grandfather, and was terrified. She still loves me though, and I feel
hope that she will stay by my side.

> Currently, I'm working as a Human Resources Director and have started a
> nonprofit for Parkinson's with and for some of my PD friends.  I will not
> tell you that I do not feel down at times.  However, one just needs to look
> around and look outward at the surroundings and find that silver lining that
> is there if we are truly looking for it.

I also hope to be able to keep working for some time. I work as a
webmaster, and enjoy it immensely! I started out as a very
technology-oriented person, but I'm more and more turning towards the
importance of content and clear, logical design.

Having a job that I enjoy going to, and a few *really* good friends, are
two of those silver linings in my life.

/John. (29/0)