John 'n "All"....

I'm continually astounded by the variety of medical tests so many of us go
thru before getting a definite diagnosis of PD (or PD is then ruled out).

I seem to have missed all those tests tho, 'cause despite going to several
MDs... GPs, orthopedist, neuro, another GP, and more, over the 7 years I
sought a diagnosis, the only REAL test I was ever given besides a general-type
physical was an EEG.  Even tho the EEG was normal, the neuro who gave me that
test was the one who eventually FINALLY diagnosed PD.

By the way... the only other "tests" he performed was to have me walk 10 feet
down the office hall and back AND he took a good look at my face to see if he
saw the typical "Parkie mask."

THAT diagnosis took place 7 years after I first noticed those initial vague
symptoms.  From where I am after almost 23 years of living with the disease,
and from what I've learned about Parkinson's in general, I'm ASTOUNDED that
the eventual diagnosis was based upon ONLY one medical test and the neuro's
educated guess!   ("After all," he assured me, "I've seen hundreds of people
with Parkinson's over the years, tho never one as young as you")

AND I'm even MORE amazed that I accepted THAT as ENOUGH to base a diagnosis of
such life-impacting magnitude upon.  Truth is, I was RELIEVED and even
grateful to at LAST be able to put a name on what had until then been called
everything from "creative imagination," "female problems," it's in your head,"
<they should only KNOW, huh?>, Lupus, MS, and God-only-knows-what-else.

It seems to me that the path to a correct diagnosis, for many of us, is really
kinda a hit-or-miss procedure.

Barb Mallut