Is there a better way to administer NIH funding of research than constant
competitive wrangling and multiple bills coming out of Congress?  Maybe.
Maybe not.

The point is do not accept the anti-earmarking arguments at face value.
Too much earmarking can lead to waste and poor science when special
interests groups wield an inordinate amount of power.  However, leaving all
of the critical decisions on health research spending to the scientific
boards and administrators at NIH has its own drawbacks.

Those involved with the NIH have their own agenda.  They sometimes fund
studies which are a forgone conclusion in order to make sure they have
successful results.  This is less risky, but may not always promote the
best science.

Members of scientific boards have their own constituency.  Top scientists
who get to know other top scientists tend to fund research in a narrower
range within a smaller subset of the academic and scientific elite.  This
can lead to conservatism.

Basing NIH funding decisions purely on "the best science"  may have a nice
aesthetic ring to it but it does not necessarily serve the greatest public
interest.  If the NIH only funded "the best science" without regard to
public demand would we have seen the monumental advances in AIDS research
that will hopefully stem the tide of a potentially devastating worldwide
plague?

Those of us with Parkinson's and those who have family members with
Parkinson's have every right to advocate as often and as loudly as we see
fit to halt the persistance of this insidious illness.  Don't sit back and
accept the notion that the government and the NIH is looking out for your
best interest without a reasonable amount of skepticism.

Advocacy for your own self-interest may not necessarily be discreet or
genteel but if you don't do it who will?

How does the quote go?  If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?
I'm not sure I know what that means but it seems appropriate here.

Regards,
Ken Aidekman

Fund the Research.  Find the Cure.