-----Original Message-----
From: Kathie Tollifson

>Jenny,
>
>Where did you obtain the mucuna and what form is it in? I have been
>trying to find a source for mucuna, and all I've found is the dried
>beans (which I am planting).

My late wife Moira was given some mucuna pruriens by a friend who imported
it from India. She found it helpful, but her last illness made it difficult
to really assess.

I have the container it comes in and it is a commercial product in India.
One of our local health food stores (with a special interest in alternative
medicines) was familiar with it, but was reluctant to order it because
Health Canada was at the time talking about more restrictive regulations for
alternative medications.

Here is the label info:

It is called HP 200 and described as an "Ayurvedic Medicine." It is
manufactured in India by Zandu Pharmaceutical Works, 70, Gokhale Road (S),
Dadar, Bombay-400 025.

The label also contains specific information regarding its use with
Parkinson's: "Appropriate  treatment helps to keep the patient working and
enjoying active life for many years. The goal of the medical treatment is to
control signs and symptoms. Since there is a great deal of variations in the
for your doctor to adjust the medication and dosage periodically. Also it is
important to take the medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor."

Composition: "each 7.5 g contains: Standardised processed seed-powder of
Mucuna pruriens Bak in a flavoured base."

Dosage: "As directed by the physician."

Directions: "In half a glass of water (approx. 100ml) suspend prescribed
does of powder, stir and drink immediately. Not to be taken with milk."

The container Moira had was 450 g and if I recall correctly it was not
inordinately expensive. Our friend imported a quantity herself from India
and Canadian customs posed no problem.

I can check with our friend for other details if anyone wants more
information.

TTFN
Peter

Peter Kidd
Learning Materials Consulting Services
62 Coronation Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3N 2M6 Canada
Tel/FAX: (902) 443-4262 Email: [log in to unmask]