Hi Art, Jim & Emily, Judith, and all my "family",

recently Judith Richards wrote:
>I'm always looking for news of any kind to give to our local office
>for newsletters, etc. Also, we are trying to find at least one
>person who has email in each support group in our area, which is
>quite large, and then set up a network so that anything of interest
>can be sent out to all of them.

Up here in Canada we (a few members of our local support group) have
just been discussing how best to communicate important items to the
people who (we think) should be informed.  We settled on handouts at
the support group, an e-mail distribution list (in the address book
on the Pegasus e-mail program that I use you can set up a list of
e-mail addresses that can receive mailings), posting notices in the
Group Link ( a newsletter that goes to all Parkinson Support groups
in our geographical area - ie: Province of British Columbia) and
telephone lists for those with no e-mail.

All of the above was used to publicize a meeting that was sparsely
attended today here in Vancouver.  There are 4 or 5 thousand PWP in
our local area and just over 100 came to this meeting.  In our own
Early Onset Support Group we are pretty mobile yet only 8 of our 40+
membership attended.

Do people on this list really want to know when something happens
here?

Today we had the B.C. Parkinson's Disease Annual General
Meeting. After the business portion we were treated to an educational
presentation on the Toxicity of Levadopa preparations over time by
Dr. Ali Rajput, a professor of Neurology at the University of
Saskatchewan.

Dr. Rajputs talk was interesting and informative.  (Autopsies of
persons with long term use of levadopa to treat essential tremor
revealed no toxicity with respect to cell death in the substantia
nigra).  Dr. Rajput answered questions from the floor after.

There were tables at the back of the hall with the latest PD handouts
and books, t-shirts etc. for sale.  In addition a local company Free
to Be displayed unique products and services for solving problems
associated with arthritus, incontinence, stroke, hip surgery,
neurological conditions, aging, bathroom safety, exercise, etc.

All in all a very worthwhile 3 hours.

The organizers made certain the meeting place was totally accessible
and would accomodate up to 400.  I guess the problem is that many
PWP suffer from apathy as well as PD.

The best of health to you all & to y'all (the Texans).

Murray 53/4 Vancouver, B.C.
.