William, I don't know what your time restraints are but perhaps it would help
if you read the messages more often than once a week, as you seem to
indicate. I read my messages at least four time a day and it usually takes
only takes ten to fifteen minutes
a time to sort through the messages, read the ones I want and delete the
rest.
I am retired so I have the time to do this. In addition to this list I
subscribe to four different "news" services, who post once a day, and have
nine kids , half of whom are pretty active in sending e-mail back and forth
to their mom and me  and I'm taking two online courses at present Perhaps if
you rearrange your schedule of viewing the messages it wouldn't seem so
overwhelming. But keep in mind that you only get out of the list what you put
into it, so taking messages away from it would only result in reducing the
value of the list to all 1600 who are members of this "support " group.
Good Luck
Bob Chapman