Some brief, disjointed comments:

1.This discussion started, I believe, after Greg Leeman's observations after
watching Ivan suffer one night.  Greg was lamenting the lack of  urgency in
Washington for finding a cure, focusing on   the observation that US
government spending went towards stuff which should have a lower priority.

I came back with an observation about the recently passed Federal road
construction bill where they appropriated a couple of zillion dollars more
than any of the requesting agencies had asked for.  All we should care
about, as PWP, is how the road group accomplished this. (Let some healthy
group worry about the inappropriate pork).  They didn't just ask  the
members of Congress to vote for the bill.  THEY SOMEHOW CONVINCED THE
MEMBERS to GET  IT  PASSED. IMHO, it is no longer the Chris Smith's who are
the enemy.  The enemy is the ( name a yeah voter)'s who haven't  visited
with another member and traded a vote for a Yes on something else on the
Udall appropriations bill.  I wrote my Rep and Sens. last week to express
the fact that just their votes obviously was not enough.
I don't know all that much about lobbying, so if I'm all wet on this just
ignore me or tell me.  Whatever the case, Margaret Tuchman's signature tag
line says it all.

2 . Be careful in lumping private sector  costs of PD with the public
sector  costs.  Private enterprise runs hospitals much more efficiently than
the  VA does.  Also, there is zero cost to society because someone or her
insurance company spent $10,000 for pills last year, that cost is only to
her .  Whether it is pills, or insurance premiums or furniture the same type
of economic activity was created.  The truly bad costs are Medicare,
Medicaid, VA benefits, Social Security and other welfare programs which
raise taxes and cause money to be drawn into the less efficient public
sector, AND the costs of all the formerly productive people no longer
working.

3. Abraham Lieberman's Testimony re Udall.  Great Stuff!  This is the kind
of thing with which we need to keep pounding Congress. Was his testimony as
good in person? I liked his comments re what's the use of curing cancer &
heart disease only to be subjected to PD, and his reference to the Manhattan
Project (although comparison to  the moon landing of 1969 might be a more
current but similar example - very difficult to do but it was accomplished
with commitment. It also cost one hell of a lot more than $100 million, and
with arguably far fewer  benefits to society even 29 years later.)

Lieberman's thank you to Clinton I am sure was appropriate, but the problems
in Congress suggest it is time to spend more time courting Speaker Ginrich
(sp?)and less on Bubba, whose influence is undoubtedly on the wane. The
Speaker  also  has lost some clout, but primarily with the public.  He is
still firmly in control of Congress and is likely to be though 2002.

4. I took so long to type this.  My hands are getting very leaden.  Good
news to some but bringing some first time depression to me.