>The following, which I obtained from http://thomas.loc.gov, is
>excerpted from the Budget Resolution, which was recently passed in
>the Senate, and from some recently introduced bills. Will this
>determine future PD funding?  There are some discrepancies in the
>time period over which funds get doubled. Note also that adding
>2,000,000,000 to the President's 13,648,000,000 NIH budget for 1998
>gives 14,960,000,000.
>
>Phil Tompkins
snip - large

>National Research Investment Act of 1998
>HR 3660 IH Apr 1, 1998
>
>To invest in the future of the United States by doubling the amount
>authorized for basic scientific, medical, and pre-competitive
>engineering research.

I have extracted the bare numbers posted for the house resolution.
The doubling does not occur in nine years (assuming that the dollars are
deflation adjusted).

National Research Investment Act of 1998
HR 3660 IH Apr 1, 1998

year HHS Res NIH
1999 37.4 14.96
2000 40.8 16.32
2001 44.2 17.68
2002 47.6 19.04
2003 51 20.4
2004 54.4 21.76
2005 57.8 23.12
2006 61.2 24.48
2007 64.6 25.84
2008 68 27.2
amounts shown in $-Billions

my website contains some information and opinions about federal mathematics
and fiscal matters that might interest some.

Ronald Vetter  1936, dz PD 1984, carbidopa/levodopa, Mirapex, selegiline
[log in to unmask]     Ridgecrest, California
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter