<< I belong to another list on which the unwritten rule is to preface
 "non-serious" subject titles with the word NOISE.  >>

I don't think that "noise" is the appropriate word.  It seems sort of
judgemental and harsh to me.  Yet I sometimes get annoyed when I open an email
with a subject line that interests me and find it has nothing to do with the
subject listed.

I believe the key to this "annoyance" is taking a minute and relabling the
email to reflect the contents. ( How about "banter"?)  That way those who have
the time to enjoy a bit of lighthearted silliness can read it and those who
don't, can delete it.

I think the correct use of SUBJECT has gotten much better in the last year.
There are only a few people who consistently fail to change the subject line
when the subject has obviously changed.  People tend to say, "if you don't
want to read it, just delete it."  I  think it's much more polite to simply
label it correctly in the first place.

Mary