hi all

i have been astonished
at the response from my cyber family to my plea
for help/advice in re the apo generic levodopa/carbidopa
that i have been taking for the past three months
instead of sinemet

but
i guess i shouldn't be astonished
this is just more proof of
when we need us
we are here

it's been interesting, to say the least

i have gone through some major life changes
during [roughly] the same time frame
so
it may have been tempting to just 'blame all the stress"
[echoes of "it's all in your head" assumptions??]

however, based on responses from 17 of you,
[summarized at the end of this message]
i think it's quite possible
that i've been having a negative reaction to the apo generic

i can prove/disprove this idea very simply:
i will switch back to the brand name sinemet tomorrow

re the tolcapone prescribed for me
i think i will wait a couple of weeks for my brain
to adjust to this latest change in the chemical soup recipe

[both of the above after consultation with my neuro, of course]

**********summary of 17 responses ********

note 1: all responses are from parkies or their caregivers
note 2: description of medications mentioned:
brand name = sinemet made by dupont-merck
generic apo = made by apotex in canada
generic endo = made by dupont in canada
generic teva = made by merck in israel

2       better response to generic than brand name

8       no difference in response to generic or brand name
      of these
      2 mentioned a generic made by merck
      3 mentioned a negative reaction to brand name cr

5       negative reaction to generic required change back to brand name

2       response to apo generic worse than to brand name
        response to endo generic better than to apo generic
      i.e. response to endo was equivalent to brand name

17 total responses

thanks gang!

your cyb-syb

janet

janet paterson
51/10 - sinemet/selegiline/prozac
almonte/ontario/canada - [log in to unmask]