Dear list,

Prompted by a letter to the editor of the Portland Newspapers by Karen
Bardo, I decided it was also time to keep the pressure up on our
congressional delegation  and public by writing to them as well.  Although I
did not expect our articles sent late in the week to be published this week,
I did look in the editorial section first thing this morning to see what was
published.  What I discovered instead was an article written by Eleanor
Goldberg, Executive Director of the Alzheimer's Association, Maine chapter.
In the article she thanked the Maine delegation for supporting the National
Alzheimer's Association's call for an additional $100 million in funding to
a total of $440 million.

I simply ask are we doing or asking enough?  This will bring their funding
level to approximately four times as much money as we have received in the
past ten years.  This is not imply that Parkinson's Disease is more
important or has more urgency to expedite a cure.  This is just the question
that immediately came to mind as I was reading the article this morning.
Honestly, my jaw dropped as if all the dopamine had returned to my
Parkinsonian damaged brain.  I know it was probably more reflex and not
thoughtful thinking, but it makes for a better story.

After regaining consciousness, my resolve lacked an intensity that would
have made up for the fact that my medication hadn't kicked in yet.  I looked
at myself in the mirror and suddenly there was not a reflection.  I felt
invisible again.  My voice raspy and hollow would not speak the words my
mind was telling it to say.  As I festinated (pd word meaning shuffled)
towards the shower to try to wash the invisibility away, I could tell that I
was still a person only through the numbness I felt.  I'm 37 by felt like
107.  And in those 70 years that were suddenly added to my life the average
appropriation for PD was unimportant.  Societies lack of comprehension,
compassion and awareness were all important.  One simple question clouded my
mind.  How can we become visible inside the social consciousness of our
citizenry?

Then L-dopa returned my resolve and reflection along with my hope that the
answer is ongoing.  Hope, that we can make a difference.  Hope, the I'm not
naive in thinking that if we stay the course (sorry George) the inflection
in our voices will indeed be strong enough to put us in the public view.
Because in repetition and reinforcement of the hard facts that we deal with
daily we will strike an empathetic cord that will finally make us visible
again.  So push, push, push!  Never give up!  Remain aware to heighten
awareness! The truth is we are  the only ones who will make a difference.
Everyone that has the ability to communicate our cause must commit.  We need
one very strong, "We are mad as hell, and we are not going to take it
anymore."

Greg Leeman 37/7