On Mon 20 Apr, Janet313 wrote:
> hi siblings
>
> i need some advice
> or maybe just some 'i've been there and done that' contact
>

> i'm intrigued by the tolcapone possibilities;
> however, i would like to get this current sinemet question sorted out
> before i start mixing any other new ingredients
> into my brain's chemical cocktail
>
> any ideas/experience out there
> with 'generic sinemet' vs 'brand name sinemet'?
>
> janet
>
> janet paterson
> 51/10 - sinemet/selegiline/prozac
> almonte/ontario/canada - [log in to unmask]

Hello Janet,  I didn't answer your initial call for help, as I was
working on my Living with Levodopa paper, and I expected that
someone else would cover anything I might say. However they didn't
and so I am putting in my comments rather late.

The only thing that I can come up with on the Generic drug issue
is that a long time ago, I remember someone quoting the
specifications controlling the levodopa content in generic
Sinemet, and the number was amazing (I don't trust my memory
enough to be dogmatic about it, but I think the tolerance was
+ or - 20% !!)  This alone could be the cause of your problem.

On the more general subject of your meds, I have a suggestion
which is simple for you to try, and has been tried and tested
(by Me !) . At 12 years with PD ( 9 years ago), I was in a
very similar position to you, and had evolved almost the same
strategy to meet it: You take 1/2 a Sinemet10/100 every 90 mins
(= 33 mg/hour)  and I used to take 1 and 1/2 Madopar 12.5/50
every 2 hours  (= 37.5 mg/hr). So where do we go from here?
What I did, and what I would recommend to you, is to introduce
a Dopamine agonist. The only available one 9 yrs ago was
Pergolide (or Permax) so I used it. It was fine for me, and I
have continued along the same lines: I still take 1 & 1/2 mg of
Levodopa 12.5/50 every 2 hours, but as PD progresses, I have
increased my dosage of Permax - currently at 3.5 mg per day.
As the time has gone by, this strategy has provided me with a
near-constant outward appearance, and I would recommend it to
anyone as the best method of spinning out the meds  to make them
last as long as possible.
I hope you feel able to try this method. (Any of the current
agonists should do, because in this context, I believe that
they are all very similar). It is the potential for side-effects
which cannot be predicted that makes one agonist different to
another.
Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>