About a week ago--or more?--I saw a question in the Digest requesting an
explanation on what
we mean when we at NPF say that we're a non-profit.  I haven't seen an
answer and I hasten
to add that I'm not an attorney and this isn't a legal definition, but...

The Department of the Treasury issues non-profit status to organizations
who can prove that
they do not exist to make profit for shareholders or any kind of private
owners.  The monies
earned by a non profit must be spent by that non-profit in very specific
ways in order for the
Department of the Treasury and the IRS to issue confirmation of non-profit
50l(c)(3) status.
We have had this status since l959.  To retain the status of a non-profit
organization--which,
among other things, means that contributions to NPF are tax deductible--we
must submit
documents annually and go through periodic reviews.  For example, we can
and do dispense
our funds for research, patient services, education, etc.  A 50l(c)(3)
non-profit organiztaion,
however, can only direct a small portion of its funding into lobbying--in
D.C. or locally--and the
amount spent on administration and/or on fundraising is carefully watched.
 There are numerous "watch-dog" agencies, in the federal and  local
governments and in the private sector.  Of course,
there is the Department of Treasury itself.  There is the Better Business
Bureau's Non-Profit division.
 Locally, here in Los Angeles, all fund raising efforts must be registered
with and are monitored by the L.A. County Social Services Department.  And
they DO monitor.  All of these and many more watch every thing each
non-profit does.

Again, the above is not intended to serve as a legal definition but merely
to provide a framework
for better understanding what it means when NPF or any other organization
tells you that
it is "non-profit."  Hope it helps!

Kim Seidman
West Coast Direction