Janet,

My guess is that NPF is a non-profit organization since most
Foundations are.  Organizations which are non-profit usually have to
be incorporated by the state, at least in Calif.  They also have to
have an IRS number to be non-profit and have donations to them be tax-
deductible.  NPF hasn't, to my knowledge, charged or demanded
anything in return for their literature.  However, they do exercise
their right to put you on their mailing list if you request something,
 and will send you their promotional material and information they
feel is important.

Our Parkinson support group is incorporated in the state of Calif. It
was the first one done in our state.  I am not in anyway affiliated
with NPF except to have contributed on a voluntary basis as a writer
to their newsletter and to be aware of the good that they have done
in many instances.  They have helped the Parkinson community
primarily in myriads of ways while maintaining their own organization.

I know what you mean...there's no free lunch. I, too, am a skeptic.
Perhaps the only reward they are expecting is our unrequired
gratitude in monetary form for what they are attempting to do for us.

Bev    74/50+