You have a powered chair. Congratulations.
You’re in for some surprises.  You will find that you are more mobile
in some ways and  less so in others.   If you are like me, you will find
yourself having to adjust to being faster and stronger than those around
you for the first time in your life. Some places that were available to
you are  no longer accessible. A two inch step is a cliff. Multiple
steps become mountains.
That grass filled meadow can now be crossed with ease, but you are on a
limited power supply. It is a short hop to the  store for a snack but
you can’t get back in the chair from the toilet. Getting around at work
is less tiring but you can’t go out to lunch because the chair won’t
fit.
However, the biggest surprise is the change in visibility. For example.
Kristen and I went to the Main Street Arts Festival this past weekend.
Having been in a wheelchair for a rather long time I have become
accustomed  to the way people in malls and other crowded places react to
wheelchairs.
I found that a powered chair makes you less visible. In one instance I
watched as one person planted his foot  squarely between my front and
rear wheels. I did manage to stop, but did so on top of his foot.
Another young man walked in front of me and wound up on his rump looking
mildly annoyed.  Now I’ve always come in on the short side so not being
seen because people don’t look down or don’t want to look at the chair
is not new to me. But I find this inability to see three hundred pounds
of motorized steal plus 190 pounds of person frightening. Consider this,
a  powered chair can travel at a maximum speed of seven miles per hour.
The minimum speed is one that will make your head ache trying to watch.
At that minimum speed, a powered chair user can move  twice the combined
weight of themselves and their chairs. In fact, I have to be careful
moving around the house or I will find myself moving furnature that
Kristen does not want moved.
A powered chair can do a 180 degree turn in under 4 seconds and on a
flat dry surface can stop in something like six feet. These bits of
information are based upon my attempts to find out what my limitations
are.
But I hope this information makes one thing clear. Those poor
unfortunates out there that must walk simply cannot see a powered
wheelchair, thus you must look out for them, although you will find that
nobody wants to walk ahead of one.

Marvin Giles