Lori, my husband was diagnosed three years ago.  He too went to doctors
(neurologists) who prescribed medication and saw him yearly.  We have moved
now and live close to the Cleveland Clinic.  The neurologist there who
specializes in PD believes in seeing patients every few months.  He believes
that since the disease progresses differently in patients and fluctuates often
in individual patients, he needs to see them regularly to help monitor
medication and other needs.  Makes sense to us!  I agree that a support group
would no doubt be a help to your mother.  Vi