a neurologist, I would like to also suggest that what the patient
does when visiting the Neuro has a vast impact on his satisfaction
with the results of the visit.  To speak to this matter I have
written a poem:

            VISITING THE DOCTOR

When to the doctor you must go make sure you take a list
of all the questions you might have about the things that he should
know.
It would be good to take a friend, a spouse, caregiver or whoever,
to help recall the facts discussed and not trust memory to append.

Don't pretend that you are fine when you are really not.
It won't aid him to help you out if you feed him a line.
Without the facts you tie his hands to make the right decisions
about new medication needs your body now demands.

Most doctors really aren't clairvoyant, though oft we do regard them.

We must relate to them our needs in terms most clear and buoyant.
Now if your doctor lacks attention to how you feel and what you say,
then look for one who will consider the things you choose to mention.

Today, we need to take an interest in seeing that our needs are met.
If we do not, then we are hurt if doctors do not meet the test.
We must be sure we are advised about the facts of our condition,
so that together we can plan with all the facts apprised.

Bev Steward ([log in to unmask])